Sunday, February 24, 2008

An infection

Hello friends and family. Just incase you weren't aware tourists get a very sugar coated view of Hawaii. Hawaii is indeed paradise, but in all reality is is not the cleanest place around. There are bugs everywhere, and ants are inevitable. So, on with the story. I got a blister right on my ankle bone a couple of days ago, and thought nothing of it. Well, yesterday about half way through the day all of a sudden I couldn't walk. It felt like I had twisted my ankle really badly. Well, I still had to go to work and help backstage with the school play last night so I decided not to think about it or even worry about it. By the time I started walking home from the play (at 11pm) my ankle was hurting so badly that I thought for sure it was sprained or something. Well, I got home and expressed this pain to one of my roommates stating that I thought it was infected and she quickly jumped up to help me. They ran to the store and got me some epson salt and some hydrogen proxide to clean this blister out. So she got back and I soaked in the salt for about and hour and then decided it was time for bed. As I got up I went to the bathroom to rinse it out with the proxide and I found that it was even worse and I couldn't walk hardly at all. I tried to tough it out and just say that I was okay but I got in my room and just started crying because it hurt so badly. Well, my roommate and her boyfriend (Ammon) got home. Ammon is here all of the time and he is like a brother to all of us. He is also a local. Well they saw me crying and I explained the whole story to him. He said that it was definitly infected. He then told me that it was important for me to keep my foot elevated and so that it wouldn't swell.
He called one of our neighbors over to give me a blessing. They did and it was beautful. After the blessing Ammon had me soak my foot in regular salt water with a little proxide in it. At this point it was hurting so badly that it was making my legs shake, and then sticking it in that water was even adding to the pain. We sat it in the water for a while and then Ammon took it out and scraped the skin off of it that was blocking it and then dumped straight proxide in it and wrapped it good to keep anything else from getting in it. My roommate gave me her bed because it was the bottom bunk and we got my foot nice and elevated and I was able to rest. It took me a long time to sleep that night and I didn't sleep very soundly. However, I woke up this morning and the pain was mostly gone. It still hurts around the sore directly but it no longer hurts my entire ankle.
I want to testify to all of you that miracles do happen. After all that we can do and after all the effort we have put into it God will then step in and will heal us. I'm so grateful for Ammon and Brian and their willingness to give me a blessing and help me at 12:30 at night and pick skin off and just take care of me despite everything, no questions asked, never even hesitating. They let me cry and they talked me through the entire thing. I'm grateful for the atonement and for the knowledge that we have that in all reality Christ suffered all things for me and he knew the pain that I was in last night and that is why he could help me and succor me.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Okay that sounds super painful. Who would have thought that a blister could cause such a bad infection! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better. Aren't good friends awesome. I am sure glad that there are faithful priesthood holders that could give you a blessing. Take care of yourself.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Where's the pictures you said you were going to put on?

Aimee said...

Oh Abs, that sounds so horrible. But I'm glad you were able to have a priesthood blessing. I've never had one from anyone besides my dad. Your blogs are always so uplifting, I love it. It's too bad you had to go through so much pain to share an inspirational blog, but thanks!