Tuesday, February 5, 2008

House Guests


Well, here is an interesting story for you all....We were walking to church yesterday when this older couple pulled over and picked us up. We gladly excepted the ride only to find out that they were attending our ward that day. They were visiting the couple missionary that was serving in our ward and they were happy to be here in Hawaii for a week. Their names are Elder and Sister Swain. Elder Swain is a retired pilot and he and his wife now use his benefits to fly for free all over the world. They have served 4 missions together and have had many extensive callings through out the church. Well, after they gave us a ride we had a bright idea to invite them over for dinner Monday night. We made them a card and told them if their vacation plans permit we would love to have them at our house. They gladly excepted and we had them over and had a wonderful dinner. It was so nice to hear their stories and to spend a few hours with "real people" It's hard sometimes when you only get to associate with college kids and it's nice sometimes to have people like them be willing to come to our house. We had a great time and they have truly made a lasting influence on my life in just the few hours they were here.

On another note, just to update, things here are GREAT! School is going wonderfully and I love my job at the PCC. I got to be the greeter the other night at work, what does that mean? Well, it means that I got to dress up like a true poly, in the hole tube top shirt, the flower thing around my head, no shoes, and the awesome skirt. Unfortunetly I didn't have my camera with me so I only got a picture with my phone, but it was awesome. Don't ask me why they asked me to do that job because I'm obviously not polynesien. They did have other poly's standing there taking pictures with the guests, I just said "welcome family" and put the leis' around their necks. It was an awesome job and I felt so honored that they would ask me to do that and be the first thing our custumors saw when they came into our restaurant. I'm so grateful for the blessings in my life that the Lord is so freely giving out to me. Bishop Phelps (that's my home ward bishop) also called and I got to talk to him for a long time just about how things are. I'm so grateful that he cares that much about me to call and check on me. He also asked me about my mission plans and if I would be home for the summer so they could give me a calling. Never forget that the Lord is aware of us and is watching out for us and he will never leave us. I love you all! I'm so grateful for the family that I got to talk to this weekend...just those calling to say hi that I haven't talked to for a while or at least since I've been here! I love to talk to anyone...just call me sometime! Thanks again for all your love and support.

6 comments:

Emily said...

That's a way cool story! I bet they loved hanging out with you as much as you did with them. How fun!

Unknown said...

I'm sure the couple had a great time too. You would make anyone feel welcome! It great that you want to learn from a generation or two older than you. They can learn from you how to stay young at heart and how to enjoy each new experience that comes your way! Lani

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

That's so cool. What a girl. Love the picture too. You guys are all so cute!

Love the things that we can learn from each other. What a topic of conversation you ladies gave them to go home a tell. Way to go.

Love ya tons.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Ab's - so who is who?

Edna said...

It's always good to get those reminders that Heavenly Father is aware of us, that He does hear our prayers, and He wants us to be happy. I had such an experience this morning--when I desperately needed it! Thanks for your wonderful posts that lift me every time!

Aimee said...

Learning from...lets say "seasoned in years" people is my favorite. When we were young I loved when we would all go to grandma's house so I could hang out upstairs with the adults and listen to them chat. Thats probably one of my favorite memories as a kid.