Monday, July 14, 2008

To many pictures

I'm sorry, I wish I could share all of my photos with you, but there are just to many, and I can't access slide.com so I can only share with you some of my favorites. Egypt was so incredible, I loved it. Even the dirty parts of it I didn't mind so much. This week I have three finals, so I'm super busy. But they say after we get through this week life is much easier because then we will only have two classes. I'm excited. So, this blog will be short tonight, because the pictures took a long time to load, hopefully I will get a chanc tomorrow to tell you more.
Okay so day one on the trip to Egypt: July 6th. We left the Jerusalem Center at 6:30 in the morning to head towards egypt. On the way we were planning to stop at several biblical sights, so we knew we were in for a very long day. First we stopped at Beersheba where the children of Israel would have come through. It used to be a little city with a huge watering system underneath it, Also, it was one of the great fortresses of ancient times. Next, we stopped at the Wilderness of Zin lookout which is this huge desert that has absolutely nothing in it. This is where the children of israel wondered for 40 years. Next came Ben-Gurions Grave. Mr. Ben-Gurion and his wife help to seek freedom in Israel(I think, my notes aren't sitting right next to me) Anyways, then we headed to Advat Yotvata which is a Jewish Kubbutz. A kubbutz is kind of like a wanna be law of consecration place. Everyone helps everyone and shares everything and nobody makes money but the kubbutz pays for everything. It's weird, but it was neat to experience that. That is where we stayed the night. When we had dinner that night it kind of turned into a dance party and they taught us some hebrew songs and we sang and danced around, it was super fun.
Day Two: July 7 We left the Kubbutz at 7:30 in the morning to head for the border crossing. Let me tell you, I felt like the biggest refuge at the border crossing. We had to unload all of our stuff and carry it through secruity and the border and then into egypt and back on another bus. At least we didn't have to swim accross but it was an interesting experience to have to walk. Anyways, after we crossed the border we drove through the Sinai Desert. That is quiet the desert. There is not even a plant anywhere. It's unreal. we stopped at a rest stop and it was the nastyest place I've ever seen. We went to the bathroom in holes in the ground...men there also think American Women are just super beautiful so they sit and stare and some even ask you if you want to marry them. It's flattering, but weird. So, the boys that are with us have to be a little bit over protective and just kind of put their arms around us to make sure we are safe and stuff. It's super nice. but it will be weird to get home and not have anyone pay attention to me, becuase even though it's from creepy men on the street and the super nice men here at the center, we do get a lot of attention. We drove straight through to Cairo to our hotel ( 6 hours) where we were all very ready for a shower and bed. In Egypt we can't eat anything that hasn't been cooked or drink any of their water...imagine how showering went trying to not get it on your face so you didn't lick it or get it in your eye...yikes! you would get the runs if you did. :)We also went to the sound and light show which is played on the Giza Pyramids. It was incredible.
Day three: July 8 We got up really early this morning...5:00am and headed with our tour guide to the great pyramids. They were awesome. It was at this point that I realized the center had hired about 12 "secret service" men to protect us. It was unreal throughout the trip how they placed themselves and how you would all of a sudden notice them and wonder how long they had been there. It was kind of cool to have body gaurds and a security car that follows the bus around...I felt really spoiled. The center takes good care of us. Anyways, at the pyramids we got to go inside one. Let me tell you 170 nations of persperation inside the little holes we had to crawl through and around in is not pleasant, but it was cool to do anyways. We also got to see the sphinx which is actually where they would mummify the body to take it to the pyramid. This was just unreal let me tell you. the great pyramids are something you only see in books, you don't actually go there right? Then we headed to the old captial of Egypt which is Memphis (where they believe Moses was) and looked around there. Then we went to a Papyrus factory where we saw how they made there paper and stuff and I bought some Papyrus. We at lunch at a cute little reastaurant and then packed a smaller bag and headed for the airport to go to Luxor...that's where the incredible sunset picture is from...it's awesome i know! I'm quite the photographer. Okay, well I need to get back to my studies and this is longer then I wanted it to be. So I will fill you in on day 4-6 tomorrow. Remember me in your prays, this week is going to be a hard one, academically!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Super cool Abi! That all sounds so amazing, you are so lucky to be able to do that! Your parents must be pretty awesome.

Glad you're having a great time and good luck with all of your tests and everything!

Aimee said...

WOW!!! For me, the pyramids will only ever be something I see in books. You are so blessed! Good luck with your finals! And keep those pictures coming, I love them.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

I love the post, thanks for sharing. I'm not very good 1 handed so this will be short comments. Glad that you had fun and learned a lot. Good luck, study hard for your finals. I would rather you get good grades than post. Continue to use your time wisely.

I am doing fine. The pain pills make me groggy so I'm not taking them while at work. Thanks for the call, I love hearing your voice.

All my love

Lani said...

Oh Man! Those pyramids! I teach my students about them, now I can teach them what they did in sphinx! I'll never see them in person, so they a still only in boks for me! It is probably too late to say good luck on those finals, but good luck anyway! Love the blog! Love ya Lan