Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 4,5,6,7

Okay, so I told everyone that I would catch you up on the rest of our Egypt trip. Here it is. I needed a little break from homework and studying for finals so this gives me the most perfect opportunity.
Day 4: Well, as you know the night of day three we jumped on a plane and headed 500miles to the city of Luxor. I loved Luxor. It's a beautiful place! Well, we woke up at 5am and headed for the Valley of the Kings. The reason we got up so early is because the valley of the kings is in the middle of the desert and it gets hot really quickly so we wanted to beat the temperature. I loved the valley of the kings. I remember studying about it in humanities so it was so cool to actually be standing there. They have the mummy of king tut still in the tomb so we got to see his mummy there where they discovered all of his treasure. So, after the valley of the kings we headed for the funerary temple of Rases the third, and let me tell you the pharoahs sure thought a lot of themselves. It was really cool to see the connection between the church and the apostate state that the egyptians were in. After that we just headed back to the hotel for free time where I took a nap, went to the BEAUTIFUL luxor museum and swam in the pools swimming pool. It was super cool, and super fun.
Day 5: This time we didn't have to get up so early but we did get up fairly early and took a horse and buggy to the Karnak Temple and then over to the Luxor Temple. Both of these are very interesting places especially with our knowledge of the church, because it is true that the knowledge was there but they just lived in an apostate state. Then we went on a Faluka ride down the Nile and that was killer cool because the driver and stuff started playing his drum thing and we all danced around and sang Arabic songs. Then we wen on our Camel ride which just adds to the list of transportations we have had on this trip. That was pretty cool and the camels were just led by some local boys, that was there job. They think American Women are beautiful here so we all got proposed to several times. After that we had more free time and I hit up the shopping center and swam around some more. We then headed for the stinky, gross, nasty train station where we would be taking an overnight train ride back to Cairo. The train wasn't actually that bad, I enjoyed it for the most part. At this point though I did just hit the point of exhaustion, where I didn't know what to do anymore. I started feeling sick, couldn't do homework, couldn't relaxing, it's a hard feeling for me to describe. After tossing and turning for a few hours I finally decided this was just not going to work so I got up and went and knocked on one of the boys bedrooms and asked them to give me a blessing, just for comfort and peace and the ability to make it through this rigirous program. They did and I'm so grateful that I knew I could just call on anybody. It was a beautiful blessing and I was able to sleep soon after that and have a better experience all together, not that it wasn't great before, this just made it better. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood and the faith I have in its ability to heal a person.
Day 6: We arrived in Cairo, with not even enough time to change clothes, shower, or brush our teeth, and headed for the Mohammed Ali Mosque which was super interesting and then had Lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe Cairo. That was a fabulous place and it was nice to be back somewhere that felt a little more American. Then we headed to the HUGE Cairo museum where we got to see King Tut's treasures, a ton of statues, and then saw the mummy rooms where we saw some pretty famous pharoahs...as mummies. Then we went back to the hotel and had some freetime before we held our own little sacrament meeting. I had to speak at the meeting. That is my 6th talk in the last year. I'm never speaking again until I'm 60! :) It was a good meeting and I have never experienced a sacrament like that before. Well, the night ended early from exhaustion and I quickly went to bed.
Day 7:
We left early to head for the border crossing, and after we crossed we wen snorkling in the red sea! How cool is that!! It was beautiful and I thouroly enjoyed it...I would do it again for sure. We got back to the JC late but it was so good to finally get back. Well, That's the readers digest version of my Egypt Trip. I loved every second. Even though the water was dirty and we couldn't let it even touch our face let alone drink it (we had clean bottled water) and we couldn't eat anything that hadn't been cooked I still loved it!

1 comment:

Lani said...

Your experiences just get mor amazing with every blog! I'm glad I can experience them vicariously with you! Thanks!
As a side note what did your mom do to her hand from the comments on your last blog? Love ya, Lan