Friday, March 14, 2008

A letter to Dad



You know the most interesting part about the students at this univeristy is that most of them are first generation, and only memebers in their family. Such is the story with May. May was born and raised in Vietnam and when is was 13 years old she saw some mormon missionaries walking along the streets. She decided to go talk to these Americans. Well, as the story progresses we know that May was later baptized into the church. However, her family is not. Though they allowed for her baptism you wouldn't exactly call them supportive of her decision to enter the church. She has one older sister also. May's parents still live in Vietnam and it has been one year since she has seen them. Her sister moved to California to go to school and now is staying there because she likes it so much. She is not married, but does have a boyfriend. May chose to come to BYU-Hawaii for her education. She came because she wanted to know what it was like to be surrounded by LDS kids. Also, she wants to find a husband who can take her to the temple and live with her for time and all eternity. That is the story of Beautiful May. She has a great personality and has taught me a lot about Vietnam. The most interesting thing I've found is that we were talking about the language differences and I was telling her what all of the Asian languages sound like to Americans and then she said that when they first heard English is sounded like, "pspspospspsopspssssspspspsps" All they can here are p and s. It was so funny to hear that because I've never gotten the perspective before. May is also thinking about serving a mission, and if i come back here in the fall she would like to live with me.

Well, in other news. I have this huge crush on this boy at work and I'm not very good at the dating game. I'm trying to be, but it's not working out so well. School work and beach time are doing wonderfully. I counted the other day and I only have 45 more days here until I come home. INSANE huh? I was pretty sad about it. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. It's seems as though it was just the blink of and eye. Life just keeps going by faster and faster and I feel as though I can never catch up. Well, that's all the news I have for now. I love you all!

2 comments:

Dad said...

This is a test

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Thanks for sharing the story of May. What a great sacrifice for her to accept the church and leave her home. I am grateful that there are strong, faithful, courageous new members of the church who are an example to their fellow countrymen and me.

You are a good friend too. That would be cool if you could be roomies. You'll have to rob a bank though.

Love ya