Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What a weekend!


WOW! I don't think I could have asked for a better weekend. I loved every second of it. One of my old roommates from school came and stayed with me. It started off with us going to the high schools homecoming football game. It was a lot of fun, mostly because she's from California and loves the hole "small town" thing. Well, the game got a little boring, to say the least, so we headed out with my parents to see "American Carol" it was a pretty funny movie and I would recommend it if your in for a short lived laugh.
Saturday, of course, was perfect because it was the start of General Conference. But what made it even better is I got up early, went for a run, and then dad asked me to come help him outside for a little bit. So, I got to spend some time with him and just talking to him. I cherish every moment I get to spend one on one with him, with each of my family members in fact. They are so precious to me and I cherish every one of those memories. Plus, the calm of a gentle rainstorm and a slight chill outside made a peaceful atmosphere for watching conference.
There were many things about conference that I liked, like many of you it was exactly what I needed to hear in this time of my life. I loved the laughter and council that we were given by many. Mostly, I'm grateful for the reminders from Elder Wirthlin and President Monson to laugh and to be grateful and to live in today, no matter how hard it is. There isn't a heartache out there that a little laughter can't help and the atonement can't cure. All shared beautiful messages and all filled my spirit with a great calm. After the sessions on Saturday my friend and I carved pumpkins and then we went and had a girls game night with our neighbors as the boys were at the priesthood session.
When Sunday came my entire family was happy to relax together and enjoy the words of our prophet. We love him so dearly. After the session my friend wanted to go on a horse ride so Ethan willingly took us on a simple Sunday cruise. It was fun and certainly enjoyable for the rookie. We had the neighbors over for dinner and sang Happy Birthday to Caitlin (My friend) because she turned 20 on Saturday. Thanks Caitlin for a great weekend and all the great memories.
In other short and quick news, I have turned in my mission papers and actually have an interview with the bishop tonight. I can't believe this is really happening. I've dreamed of it for most of my life and I'm so excited to go out there and share the joy that I feel, the knowledge of the restored gospel, and the blessing of a prophet on the earth today, with others. I'll keep you all updated as more things happen. Please pray for me as you can. I would appreciate all of them as I embark on this most wonderful, and most anticipated journey in my life!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Hooray!!!! I'm so excited for you to go on a mission. I remember when we were all younger we used to say how if I went on a mission then Winston and I would have been out at the same time. How fun it will be for you and Ethan to share that experience!! Good luck and I hope the wait isn't too long. When will E turn in his papers?

Abi said...

He can turn his papers in anytime now. I'm not sure when he'll do it though.

Lani said...

I too enjoyed General Conference. It was a first for us in that we had NO kids around. Kind of lonely but we could focus on the messages better. I loved President Monson's talk about being happy, laughing more and showing more gratitude. I enjoyed all the talks and felt renewed after them. Do you want to go foriegn or domestic?